I think for a long time I was worried about too many silly things. The more I read online about what to write and what not to write if you were an artist , the more I just became overwhelmed and anxious when I sat down to write. Here’s the run-on sentences in my brain:
- Blogs are dead. So why write them then? I still eagerly watch each day for my favorite writers or friends, so why wouldn’t others?
- I don’t have my MFA so I am not qualified to write a blog post. Yes, they do have an edge but writing is a lot of “practice makes perfect”.
- Nothing I say is really interesting or unique. Well it is unique to me.
- You need to brand yourself so don’t align yourself with something controversial. Controversial topics are fun to discuss in person and sometimes get lost in a short email or blogpost so hard to defend . I get this point.
- Along similiar lines, don’t align yourself with one thing or person. Be your own person. Authentic- be authentic.
- I can’t or don’t want to show my work right now. Sometimes true but lots goes on in my town/life that is art related I can share with others.
- You need tutorials. Write tutorials. Not opposed to sharing what I know. So I could write a tutorial.
- I need a workshop to learn to write. My default argument for all things hard in my life.
- I take lousy pictures.
- I haven’t made as much work as others have.
So, the run-on in my brain could continue forever. Or I could quit hiding out. I could quit comparing myself to others. I could grab a little confidence. Risk a little skin and get to work and have some fun meeting up with my friends again.
How the heck have you been?